NELINET Session - December 13, 2005
The I-SKILLS Résumé:
Information Retrieval and Evaluation Skills at Mount Royal
Mount Royal Library has an active, course-integrated instruction program. We believe students should learn how to identify, locate, retrieve, evaluate and use information.
Assessment of Information Retrieval and Evaluation Skills
Developing the I-SKILLS Résumé Tool
What I was curious about:
- what would students articulate as information skills
- how would they describe their skills
- would their résumés demonstrate a development in skills over time
What might be useful to students:
- résumés would encourage students to reflect on skills
- résumés could become part of portfolios
What might be useful in assessing the program:
- résumés might demonstrate the effects of a planned incremental instruction program
How is the tool being used?
PR student groups fill out a group information skills résumé before meeting with me.
Senior chemistry students used it in advance of a library class so I could focus on what they didn't know.
Longitudinal research project with Journalism students - students update résumés each year.
Is it working?
How else could it be used?
NELINET Professional Development Workshop Handout
Page Address: http://www2.mtroyal.ca/~mmacmillan/conf/nelinet.htm
Maintained by Margy MacMillan - email@example.com - Last Updated 2005-11-13